There is nothing better than eating a bog warm bowl that satisfies hunger like nothing else. This stew is so easy and quick to prepare and will definitely fill you up, such a comfort food. Loaded with protein and nutrients from the veggies it is a great and complete meal.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 leek
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 750ml of passata
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 a cup of lentils
- 1 can of chickpeas
- 1 can of red beans
- 500g of baby spinach
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1-2 tbsp hot chilli powder
- 1.5 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp of smoked paprika
- 1tbsp of curcuma
- 1 tsp ground coriander
+ Brown rice or quinoa to serve
- Preheat the pot or big saucepan
- Chop the onion, leek, place them into the pot/large saucepan along with some water or olive oil. Allow this to heat until it’s bubbling, add more water or oil if necessary and let it heat until soft.
- Add the crushed garlic, stir for 1-2 minutes and add the spices
- Then add the passata, tomato paste and lentils. Let it simmer for about 20 minutes until the lentils are cooked.
- Stir in the beans, chickpeas and spinach.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and serve with rice or quinoa.
This is a great meal that you can do in bulk in advance and have something delicious for the days ahead. You can also make more or freeze half of it to enjoy when you don’t feel like cooking.
Why we like it:
- Lentils, chickpeas and beans are packed with protein and fiber. They to fill you up, give you energy and are great for digestive system.
- Leek is rich in prebiotic inulin and has positive effects on cholesterol
- Spinach is rich in vitamin C and iron. It is also a source of antioxidant beta-carotene that protects collagen fibres in your skin