This recipe is a quick lifesaver in many occasions: when you have guests and you want to prepare a nice side, when you want to treat yourself having something more than plain raw veggies and…when you have nothing in the fridge but carrots!
Ingredients for two servings
- 3 carrots
- 15 almonds
- 1 lemon
- pinch of salt
- half teaspoon of coconut oil
- half teaspoon of turmeric
- Chop the carrots in small slices
- Cut the almonds in half
- With a peeler or a grater create lemon zest. Remember to use only the yellow part of the skin and not the white, which is bitter
- In a pan spread the half teaspoon of coconut oil
- Put the carrots in the pan with a pinch of salt, cover and let it cook for 5 minutes on medium heat
- Add the almonds, the juice of half lemon, the lemon zest and the turmeric
- Cook for other 5-7 minutes until the carrots are a bit softened. Stir from time to time
- Ready! It lasts for couple of days in the fridge.
- Add the herbs that you prefer the most: basil leaves give freshness and a Mediterranean taste; rosemary is delicious too and the tastes are well balanced
- In the original recipe there is also a tablespoon of honey, to be added with the lemon juice. That adds some sweetness and it is totally up to the personal taste.
Why we like it:
- It is a different side, interesting thanks to the combination with almonds.
- It can complete a simple meal, whether it is a main or a salad.
- It is delicious both warm ad cold, perfect for wintery meals or for fresh summer recipes
- It is a nice dish to prepare when you have guests: it’s easy and quick to prepare, you can cook it in advance and it’s good looking 🙂 this might sound silly but when you have people coming over you want your meals to look nice and taste good