For me, granola is a breakfast, brunch, snack, dessert…I can eat it almost every time and I love baking my own because it is way more healthy, with less unnecessary ingredients, plus it is much cheaper. This is a classic version of granola, that can be enriched with other ingredients, according to your taste.
- 3 cups jumbo oats
- 1 cup raisins or cranberries
- 1 cup mixed nuts, chopped (almonds, cashews, pecans)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon coinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cacao powder
- 3 tablespoons agave
- to be added later: pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, goji berries
- Preheat the oven at 180°
- In a small pan melt the coconut oil, add the agave and cinnamon. Stir.
- In a bowl mix oats, raisins and nuts. Add the cacao powder. Combine the ingredients with a spoon.
- It is time to mix the two: pour slowly the mixture of coconut oil on the mixture of oats. Combine well with a spoon. And now taste 🙂 you can always, at that point, add another teaspoon of agave if you like it sweeter.
- Put in the oven for 15-20 minutes. Stir from time to time. The surface should start becoming a bit crunchy, but do NOT let it turn brownish, it tends to burn quickly, so be careful.
- Let it cool down; add the seeds that you prefer (sunflower and pumpkin seeds are perfect) and goji berries if you enjoy their taste.
- Put it in a jar. It lasts for many many days.
Why we like it:
- It is very easy and very adaptable to everyone’s taste: the ingredients like nuts, seeds and dried fruit can be modified according to the preference. It is very versatile
- It is yummy a topping for yogurt, acai bowls, porridge and fresh fruit salad
- Thanks to the heathy and light ingredients it much cleaner than the ones you find in supermarkets, but without refined and added sugar